Sure, Pete gambled on baseball, but the statstics do not lie. Ty Cobb is in the Hall because he was an incredible baseball player, not because he was a racist pig and an awful human being. It's called the Baseball Hall of Fame, not the Most Righteous Person Hall of Fame. Hollywood didn't take away Roman Polanski's Oscars because he was (is) a pedophile.
Here are my ten reasons.
1. Patty Smith in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
2. Yasar Arafat, an admitted International terrorist, won a Nobel Peace Prize.
3. Al Gore won an Academy Award for An Inconvenient Truth.
4. Milli Vanilli won a Grammy Award for "Best New Artist" in 1990. Also nominated: The Indigo Girls. I guess musicians who sing and write their own (incredible) songs are not worthy of honoring.
5. John Travolta had a #1 song with "You're The One That I Want" from the Grease soundtrack. Credence Clearwater Revival NEVER had a # 1 song.
6. Al Sharpton ran for U.S. President!
7. O.J. Simpson is in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
8. Ted Kennedy is in the U. S. Senate, not in prison for murder.
9. Janet Napolitano, the current Secretary of Homeland Security, believes that crossing the American border illegally is not a crime.
10. Sean Hannity and Keith Olberman are taken seriously by more than 2 million people every day.